Sunday, January 3, 2016

Inside my Devotional

Can you say personal?  I truly believe a person's journal or devotional are one of the most personal things they own.  However it was not until I saw someone else's that I began to have one of my own.  Through my journey in this devotional I have not only found out more about myself but also found out many, many things about God.  So I thought I would use my little space on the interwebs to show you my devotional and encourage you to start one of your own.

I have a pink journal that was my very first devotional.  This notebook is falling apart and the pages have bends and show lots of signs of love.  I love this book, as it signifies to me the start of my new walk with Christ and also was there with me the day I was baptized. It will forever hold a special place in my heart and I am sure I will frequently look back to it to remember that special time in my life.

I use my devotionals in many ways.  My most common use being my church service notes. Every Sunday I take this book with me and write notes from the sermon in it and also write down the verses read during service.  Then once I get home I will go through the notes again and then write the verses read in my devotional.  I myself am a visual learner and have found that if I write these verses I understand the lesson more. This is my favorite use by far.

One other use I have for my devotional is to use the S.O.A.P. method. 

Scripture
Observation
Application
Prayer

Often our Pastor will use a book & chapter in the bible but not give a specific verse.  I take these opportunities and use these instances to use this method.  I have found out so much about myself through doing these and find that they are generally so easy to do once I get going. 

And finally I use my devotional as a journal.  There are plenty of times when I have a hard time formulating my feelings into words and find it easier to just word vomit all over the page.  These entries are some of the most emotional and cathartic posts I have and find that I have grown so much when I reflect back on these posts.

I hope you enjoyed taking a peek into my devotional and would love to answer questions if you have any!

No comments:

Post a Comment